This month, we did a Show and Tell with any projects you were working on. We had some really great demos!
Thanks to all the presenters!
Patty: Block Variations
- Gives you the ability to set the default inner blocks, and other options.
enqueue_block_editor_assetsto enqueue the js file.
Gabe: Headless WordPress with React
- Using Spotify API to find music that isn’t on the service and give users the ability to vote to get it on the service.
- React frontend
- Votes are just comments.
- Using ACF’s on the Custom Post Types
- Using next.js: react framework/deployment
- Can do server side rendering, dynamic and static site generating
- Original idea to write totally static. Needed next.js to be more flexible.
- Using Vercel has hosting platform which is optimized for next.js.
- They give the option when deploying: here are the places you could put your database to be in the same datacenter as our Google Cloud datacenter.
- Using ACF with the REST API was kind of a pain when querying posts based on that metadata.
Merrill: Block Editor replacing Divi
- Client didn’t like using Divi so moved to the Block Editor
- CPT’s for coaching toolkit and guides
- Tools all have PDF’s on attached to them.
- Small budget
- Used Astra theme:
- Pro version has additional Gutenberg plugins, grid.
- Some filters so you can add to things.
Greg: Incorporating Laravel with WP Site
- Record label website
- Was on MovableType at one point
- Didn’t want to rewrite Laravel/other DB so he got WP to talk to the Laravel DB.
- Laravel, holds most of the data.
- Uses composer to use a database abstraction Illuminate.
- WP site essentially connects to the Laravel DB and displays it.
- Site for a type foundry
- Creates a tool that user can edit the variations of the Typefaces on the site
- Pick font
- Change size
- Change leading/kerning
- Using Elementor for most of the things on the site.
- Type picker was done custom in Vue and inserted into the site in Elementor block.
- Plugin built with ACF Pro.
- Storytelling is very important at UW so she built a plugin using ACF Pro and Flexible Content.
- Snowfall-type articles
- Wanted to add guardrails with modules that are pre-designed but configurable.
- Built the demo site in 15 minutes for another demo.
- Using bootstrap.
- Had issue with importing and exporting ACF repeaters.