Topic: Business Planning – The Lean Canvas
The group reviewed the Lean Canvas template and filled out each section. Below is the recommended order:
- Customer Segments
- Problem (client pain points)
- Unique Value Proposition
- Revenue Streams
- Cost Structure
- Key Metrics
- Unfair Advantage
- Sheila shared an exercise she participated in previously, using a pen to compare features vs. benefits. Here’s a link to Neil Patel explaining the “Sell me this pen” process in depth.
- Vanessa shared an hourly rate calculator spreadsheet she uses to create a monthly operational budget, and determine the hourly rate to charge for services.
- The group discussed next steps after completing the Lean Canvas business plan:
- Determine how you will implement your channels, revenue streams and metrics tracking.
- Create SMART goals. To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
- Achievable (agreed, attainable).
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
- Timely (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
- For those interested in learning more about SEO, there is a Seattle Meetup.
2020 Topics for Review
- Speaker Topics (taxes, contracts, business development, marketing)
- Lifecycle of a freelance business
- Case Studies (member spotlights)
- Scoping Work / Project Proposals
- Offboarding and Client handoff
- How/when to sell WordPress
- Licensing & Contracting
Next months topic: Project Scoping, Proposals and Contracts